Friday, January 23, 2004

Movie Review: Anger Management

I should preface this by saying I'm not much of an Adam Sandler OR Jack Nicholson fan. I did enjoy Mr. Deeds & The Wedding Singer of Adam Sandler, so I thought I would give this one a try.

And it was funny. There were several scenes that I laughed out loud and thought were very clever. But unfortunately Mr. Sandler took a lot of the jokes too far (as he often does) and instead of being funny, they were crass and disgusting.

There were two things that bothered me a lot. One was a scene where two girls kiss and that just grossed me out. And the other was when Dave (Sandler) talked about molesting a mentally disabled person. Both were done for laughs, but I didn't laugh at either one. It kind of made me ill that people thought these things would be funny. So those things kind of ruined most of the movie for me.

I did like that the movie pointed out that people who don't deal with their anger have just as much of an anger problem as those of us who explode. (I'm an exploder...a closet exploder..just those close to me have seen me explode, and the few people in traffic who have witnessed my angry face and pointing from inside the car..lol) I thought that the idea of facing the things that have made you what you are today was also a good idea. Now I don't agree with how the confrontation occurred, but I think it can be very good to go back and tell the person that you are angry with that you are angry and you were hurt. Most of the time the person probably doesn't care, but at least you get it out there and can go on. At least in my personal experience it has been the best course of action.

Anyway, back to the movie...Jack Nicholson is just too strange for me. I'm not sure I can think of any movie that I've seen that I've liked him in. He plays a better bad guy than a good guy for sure.

Then of course there are the kooky music numbers that have become classic Adam Sandler. And several cameos that were fun to watch for. Rob Schneider did not appear though :( But Mayor Rudy Guilani (sp?) did shout "YOU CAN DO IT!", which was pretty funny. The guy who played the butler in Mr. Deeds was in this one too as Chuck, Dave's anger ally. Marisa Tomei, Dave's girlfriend, did a good job..I always like her.

So overall my opinion is to leave it on the shelf because it isn't worth wading through the crap to see the funny stuff.

If you've seen it, I would love to hear your opinion!

No comments: