Wednesday, December 04, 2002

Luke 5

I love how when Jesus called people, they "left everything and followed him". Oh, that we might be willing to do the same. Here we see Simon (also known as Peter) leave everything. And we also know from Chapter 4 that Simon was married (see Luke 4:38). So it wasn't like some bachelor guy who could easily drop everything. Can you imagine Simon as he walked into the house that night? We don't always see the inside scoop, but I suppose we can use our imagination. Maybe his wife was very willing, but what if she wasn't? Talk about stress.

Gotta love v. 16 "But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed". Jesus knew that time with the Father was very important. If Christ needed that time, how much more do we?

I hadn't noticed before that v. 27-32 talks about the calling of Levi, and elsewhere it is the calling of Matthew..just interesting side note there.

The last section (v.33-39) of this chapter took me a bit to really figure out. But it finally made sense. Jesus was bringing the new "wineskin" and you can't just weave the old and new together. You have to embrace the new. I liked that. How often God has done that with me. I want to hold on to the things in the past and He has given me a new future. If I want to fully enjoy and live my future, I cannot hold on to my past, no matter how comfortable it may be.

Cool :)

No comments: