Wednesday, July 24, 2002

BOOKS

I finished The Visitation. It's by Frank Peretti. It was very good. Not a quick read. Not a light read. If you've never read a Peretti book, let me fill you in a bit.

Peretti is a Christian author and he mostly writes books that are fiction. He mainly writes about the supernatural and the spiritual warfare that is constantly going on around us. This book differs from his previous (This Present Darkness; Piercing the Darkness; The Prophet; and The Oath, to name a few) books by the fact that there isn't a separation between the spiritual world and the physical world. (If you read one of his previous books and this book, you'll understand better :)

ANYWAY, this book revolves around Travis Jordan, a pastor who has run aground spiritually. He's tired of all the "stuff" that goes with the church and religion and so he throws in the towel basically. The only problem is that a self-proclaimed prophet comes trotting into town performing miracles and deceiving the entire town. Whether Jordan wants to be or not, he's drawn into the mess and while figuring out the truth, comes to some major revelations of his own life and his own relationship with Jesus Christ.

If you're looking for a light, romantic, "feel-good" book, don't read this one. If you're looking for something thought-provoking, intriguing, with a great plot and story flow, than this is the one for you! :)

I'm still reading For Better or For Best by Gary Smalley. I've read this one a couple of times before, but I can always use the reminders! (like: Don't be a nag!--ha ha) (Josh, do not comment..lol) Anyway, I'm only on chapter 4, but since I've finished my fiction book, I will have a bit more time to read my non-fiction book. I don't know why it is, but I can fly through any fiction that you give me, but non-fiction I struggle to make it through a chapter a day. This book by Smalley has some really good material, but you have really got to want to improve your relationship for any of the suggestions to work. It takes time and patience (all marriages take that anyway!), but it's good stuff, good stuff to think about and work through.

My next fictional pick is The Warning by T. Davis Bunn. I've read a few of the books he has written with Janette Oke, but never anything he's done on his own. The book was suggested to me by an aquaintance who has similar tastes in books, so I thought I'd give it a try. I think it's the first book of a series. I'll let you know :)

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Why does watermelon have white seeds and black seeds? Are the white seeds developing into black seeds or are they two completely separate things?

I know that's not deep, but that's my thoughts for today :) lol. It's late, I'm tired. Thanks for reading..feel free to sound off!

No comments: