Friday, July 19, 2002

Today I'm taking my daughter to a birthday party. Pool Party that is. What great fun. I get to stand around with people I don't know and generally feel like a doofus. Which might surprise some people because if you know me, I'm generally a very friendly person who is very outgoing. Well the catch is, I'm outgoing on my turf! If it's my party or a party I put together or at a place I'm familiar with, I can chat up a storm. But if I'm walking into a place I've never been before or if I'm surrounded by people I don't know and they all seem to know one another, I immediately feel like a doofus. It's intimidating. I want the upper hand. I want to be able to be the one who can mix and mingle and make everyone else feel comfortable, not try to figure out how I can feel comfortable. Ugh. But I will go, and I will probably have a decent time--think positive right? And what's up with the fact that it wasn't stated whether parents are supposed to swim? If I go in my suit and no other adult is, I'm going to feel really silly. But if I don't go in my suit and everyone else IS wearing their suit then what? ugh..I thought I was through with trying to fit in since I graduated from high school..never changes does it? I suppose I could take my suit and leave it in the car and then go get it if everyone is swimming, and leave it if they're not? That could work.. Then I only look a little like a doofus :) lol.

Aren't birthday parties great? I think it's a shame that there seems to be a certain age where it's no longer "necessary" to have a party? Who says? What's the purpose of a birthday party anyway? In my mind it's to celebrate another year of a person's life. Well that isn't just for children! I love party games and I love people and I like being the center of attention, so it kind of stinks that it's not "cool" to have birthday parties. Maybe I will just buck that tradition and throw myself one smashing birthday party next year. I could go all out, have cake, hats, dorky games..the whole nine yards. Hmm.. I'll have to think about that.

Well I'm thunk out for now :) I need to make some lunch and get ready for that party! See ya tomorrow, feel free to sound off in the comments!

No comments: