Friday, November 08, 2002

This week has been less than the best.

Wednesday night was the best--NOT :) A guy who goes to our church is in serious physical pain with no end in sight. As I talked to him for over an hour I was so overwhelmed with all that he was going through. I'm a "fix-it" person. If there's a problem, I'll work on it and think on it and figure out a solution. That's the kind of person I am. But there is no "fixing" his situation. I couldn't "do" anything. And it broke my heart. Right after I got off the phone with him, I got a call from my brother. His life has been turned upside down and he was now in the hospital suffering from a nervous breakdown. And again there was nothing I could "do". Nothing I could do to "fix" or even temporarily put a band-aid on the situation. And my heart was broken once more.

After I got off the phone, I did a lot of crying. Not for me, but for them. For the guy who deals with physical pain everyday and it's messing up his life in more ways than you could imagine. For my brother who feels like he's lost everything. I cried for them. I cried that their lives are so messed up. And then I spent some time with God. And I laid it out before Him. It was good. He doesn't want me to "fix" everything. He doesn't want me to "figure" it out. He wants me to love on people. If one part of the body suffers, all the other parts suffer with it..." 1 Corinthians 12:26 It's been a long time since I've allowed myself to "suffer" with another. Most of the time I take it before God and trust Him with it and go about my merry way. Oh and don't forget that I would give a band-aid or two for the situation. God calls us to suffer with each other.

Thanks God that you humbled me this week and made me think about someone else and not just to think, but to feel their pain. Thanks for making it real to me.

Be the body. Suffer with those who are suffering.

And there is an upside as well... ...Or if one part of our body is honored, all other parts share its honor. 1 Corinthians 12:26
Rejoice with those who are rejoicing! Tonight I will do that too. I'm going with a bunch of ladies from The Crossover to TGI Friday's to eat and talk and have a great time. And I'm sure there will be lots of laughter!

So really, this week has been a good week. I was allowed to come alongside of other parts of "the body" and suffer and I'm also getting the opportunity to rejoice as well.

God is good.

No comments: