Thursday, September 09, 2004

FIRST DAY!

Here I am! I made it through my first day. Of course today was more like a trial run because we split the class in half and took each half for only 1 hour. We had 5 for the first hour and 2 for the second (I know, that's not half and half). One student has a really bad cold, so we won't get to meet her until next Tuesday.

Overall it went really well. The first hour we had 4 boys and 1 girl. The girl was a bit timid, and I couldn't blame her with all those boys! For the most part the kids listened and followed instructions. The second hour was awkward with only 2 kids. Time seemed to go really slow and it was really quiet.

I am still a bit nervous about the job. I like to know what's going on and how things are supposed to go before everything actually happens and unfortunately for me, my employers seem to be more of the fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type people. Which I can be when I'm comfortable, but since I'm not comfortable it's really aggravating. I made mention today to the other teacher that I work really well with explicit instructions and I would rather do things the way she wanted the first time instead of having to be told afterwards that I did something incorrectly.

Case in point.. Last week I asked what the dress code was. I was informed it was casual, but no jeans. Ok no problem. Today I find out that khaki shorts are not ok. What was I wearing today? Khaki shorts. Ugh. I didn't have to go home and change, but it was rather frustrating that it wasn't more clear last week to avoid this problem. So I pressed a bit and found out that dresses and skirts need to be past the knee (which makes sense since we'll be on the floor alot). Again, information that is needed when buying clothing for the new job!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying not to tense up about the situation. I know it will work out ok, it's just that perfectionistic nature creeping out.

On a different note, we got back the IOWA Test Scores from last year for our middle son and he scored a 95% overall and in Vocabulary he scored a 99%! We were blown away! I am so proud of him!

No comments: