Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Howdy Ho!

BOOKS

Started The Presence by T. Davis Bunn yesterday. It's really interesting. It is not linked to The Warning or The Ultimatum (also by T. Davis Bunn). It is based around the character TJ Case who is a lawyer. He was a Congressman, but crossed party lines to help a friend get into Congress and then ended up losing his seat. Anyway, I'm only on chapter 4, but it has some really great characters. One thing I appreciate about the books I have read of Bunn's, is that his characters are struggling to accept who God has called them to be and have to make huge sacrifices for God. I think it has been helpful as I have thought about my "major decision". Anyway, very interesting.

I haven't chosen my next non-fiction book yet. I only have like 12 I would like to read..lol :) But at the rate I read non-fiction that could take me a year.

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

My daughter had her first soccer practice last night. She was too funny. A total bundle of energy and she would just fly towards the ball but really had no clue what to do with it once she had it. She couldn't remember who was on her team and kept getting confused as to which way to kick it! But she had a great time and that's what is important right? :)

As a mom who has never been a part of the soccer sport, I was disappointed by the fact that not one person really helped me out as to what was going on. I saw a few familiar faces (from around school), but no one came up to help me feel "included". It was very odd. I have heard it said that church leagues (of any sport) are the worst to play on. And I unfortunately am beginning to wonder if it's true. With softball, everyone was very nice and we would talk as practice was going on and learn little things about each other. But walking out to the soccer field, it became very obvious that everyone knew everyone else and that I was the outsider. It was awkward--very awkward. And frustrating! Part of me just wanted to say "forget it" and go home. And probably would have if my daughter hadn't had a great time.

So as I think about that experience it brings to me a sense of urgency to make sure our church doesn't become like that. That when a new person walks through the door we are friendly and welcoming and willing to "show them the ropes". And how important that not just one person does that, but several--so the new person really feels like they are being accepted and really wanted there. Help me God to remember that every Sunday, regardless of what is going on, the most important thing is to make people feel Your love in a tangible way.

Would love to hear about your experiences of being an "outsider" or creative ways you've helped others not feel like an "outsider"! Feel free to Sound Off!

No comments: